Ebola: Morocco Will No Longer Host 2015 Nations Cup

Stadium

In a shocking twist of events, the Confederation of African football (CAF) is expected to look for a new host for the 2015 African Nations Cup as agreed hosts, Morocco, on Thursday, announced that they will no longer be hosting the bi-annual football tournament.

The North African country, who interestingly will be hosting the FIFA World Club tournament, had earlier asked CAF to postpone the tournament due to the spread of Ebola virus in parts of West Africa.

However, the continental football body insisted that the tournament would go ahead in January 2015 as originally scheduled. It was in this light that Morocco has now informed CAF that the tournament poses health and security risk to its citizens if it should hold on the earlier agreed date. And since both parties could not reach a compromise, they are no longer interested in hosting the competition.

Morocco’s withdrawal puts the leadership of CAF in a desperate position. With less than three months to go to the kickoff of the competition, the continental football governing body is yet to announce replacement for the North African country.

Already, host of the 2013 edition, South Africa are said to be on standby to host the tournament while Ghana is also said to be ready to host the football showpiece.

Dailytimes



Leave your comment