Burkina Faso crisis: Army promises ‘transition body’

Zida

Burkina Faso’s military has said it will install a transitional government, days after it seized power as President Blaise Compaore resigned.

The move came after soldiers had fired shots at the state TV station and barricaded the capital’s main square as thousands of protesters demanded the military give up power.

At least one demonstrator was killed in Sunday’s clashes.

The UN has also condemned the military takeover and threatened sanctions.

Long-time leader Mr Compaore quit on Thursday, following days of anti-government protests.

The army named Lieutenant Colonel Isaac Zida as the leader of a transitional government on Saturday.

However, thousands of protesters gathered on Sunday in the capital Ouagadougou, demonstrating against the army.

On Sunday evening, following a meeting with key opposition figures, a military spokesman said the army would put in place “a transition body… with all the components to be adopted by a broad consensus”.

“Power does not interest us, only the greater interest of the nation,” the military said in a statement (in French).

It had been necessary to disperse protesters to “restore order”, the statement said, adding that one demonstrator outside the state TV station had died.

There were chaotic scenes at the state broadcaster’s headquarters on Sunday, as both opposition leader Saran Sereme and former Defence Minister Kwame Lougue turned up to a rally.

It is believed that both had gone there, separately, to announce that they could head the transition government.

However, shortly after they arrived, gunfire broke out and staff and protesters fled.

Witnesses told the BBC that soldiers had fired in the air to disperse protesters before forcing journalists to leave.

National television resumed broadcasting a few hours later.

Troops also cleared protesters from the capital’s main square, Place de la Nation.
After the confusion of these past few days, the situation was very tense on Sunday in Burkina Faso’s capital.

People were back on the streets this morning to demand the return of civilian rule.

But then shots were fired next to the national television station and people were scared, fleeing in all directions. After that, we saw crowds disperse and flee every time they saw an army vehicle.

Some are angry at the army. Other says the latest violence is the responsibility of the presidential guard – commanded by Col Zida.

BBC News



Leave your comment